Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Murray State Presidential Search Committee Selects 11 Finalists
Tue July 24, 2012
Illinois Sees Boost in Tourism
Illinois had a record number of visitors in 2011, with more than 93 million tourists. The state Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity said the state saw an 8.4 percent bump last year, bringing in over $31 billion for the state economy.
About 1.2 million of those tourists came from abroad. Officials attribute the boost to the tourism industry's recovery from the recession. Governor Pat Quinn said, "it's no surprise" Illinois has attracted so many tourists.