Most Active Stories
- Mid-Continent Chairman Confirms Layoffs, School Will Operate Through June 30
- Murray High School Assistant Charged with Rape
- MSU Transfer Credit Could Be Available for Mid-Continent Students; AG Conway Pledges Support
- Mid-Continent University Appoints Tom Walden as New Acting President
- Former Kentucky Lawmaker John Arnold Cleared of Ethics Charges
Tue July 24, 2012
Illinois Sees Boost in Tourism
Illinois had a record number of visitors in 2011, with more than 93 million tourists. The state Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity said the state saw an 8.4 percent bump last year, bringing in over $31 billion for the state economy.
About 1.2 million of those tourists came from abroad. Officials attribute the boost to the tourism industry's recovery from the recession. Governor Pat Quinn said, "it's no surprise" Illinois has attracted so many tourists.