Most Active Stories
- Mid-Continent Chairman Confirms Layoffs, School Will Operate Through June 30
- MSU Transfer Credit Could Be Available for Mid-Continent Students; AG Conway Pledges Support
- Murray High School Assistant Charged with Rape
- Mid-Continent University Appoints Tom Walden as New Acting President
- Ky. Road Plan Includes $368M for Jackson Purchase
Tue July 17, 2012
Illinois Crime Victims' Bills Signed
Illinois Governor Pat Quinn signed three bills yesterday to beef up existing laws and practices which protect crime victims.
The Crime Victims Compensation Act was established in the 1970s to help reduce the financial burden on victims of violent crime and their families. Now enforcement officers have to provide a copy of victims’ rights within 48 hours of first contact and explain financial assistance they might qualify for. Other new laws increase compensation available to victims.