Most Active Stories
- Mid-Continent Chairman Confirms Layoffs, School Will Operate Through June 30
- MSU Transfer Credit Could Be Available for Mid-Continent Students; AG Conway Pledges Support
- Murray High School Assistant Charged with Rape
- Mid-Continent University Appoints Tom Walden as New Acting President
- Former Kentucky Lawmaker John Arnold Cleared of Ethics Charges
Tue July 17, 2012
Illinois Budget Begins with Bills
Illinois began its new budget year staring at a huge stack of old bills. State Comptroller Judy Baar Topinka says Illinois has between $7.5 billion and $8 billion worth of old bills still left to pay when the new fiscal year began this month.
That's slightly better than the total for the two previous years. It means money from the new budget goes to paying old bills, leaving less cash for the future. State revenues are up this year but so are costs.