Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Murray State Presidential Search Committee Selects 11 Finalists
Tue July 17, 2012
Illinois Budget Begins with Bills
Illinois began its new budget year staring at a huge stack of old bills. State Comptroller Judy Baar Topinka says Illinois has between $7.5 billion and $8 billion worth of old bills still left to pay when the new fiscal year began this month.
That's slightly better than the total for the two previous years. It means money from the new budget goes to paying old bills, leaving less cash for the future. State revenues are up this year but so are costs.