Most Active Stories
- Poll Shows Major Support for Medical Marijuana in Kentucky
- Boating Accident on Kentucky Lake Kills Fisherman
- MSU's Dunn Selected to be Youngstown State's Next President
- Recurring Trials for an Iranian Family – A Microcosm of the Persecution of the Baha’is in Iran
- TVA Eyes Closing Power Units at Shawnee Fossil Plant, Other Coal Facilities
Fri August 10, 2012
American Queen Stranded Due to Lower Water
The ongoing drought has left the American Queen steamboat docked in Memphis, unable to paddle on down the Mississippi River because of low water. The steamboat stopped in Paducah this week on its journey down river.
American Queen Steamboat Company's Tim Rubacky tells The Commercial Appeal navigation problems caused by sluggish river flow make it unwise for the Queen to go any further south than Helena, Arkansas. About 58 passengers remained aboard Thursday night. About 240 others went on to Vicksburg by bus.